Over the course of the last few years as I have driven many miles. I began listening to several different podcast & audio books in my truck as a way to pass the time. Basically, I would listen to anything I found it interesting or helpful. So, I would listen if I thought it would help my agency somehow, if I thought a client might need me to know about it, if I thought it would be a good information when meeting someone new or if I thought it could help me a better person. I listened to a lot of stuff and these are my takeaways that I find true.
6 things I believe are worth passing on.
1. It’s about others: You have to be doing it for others. You will have success this way too, but if you are doing it for selfish reasons people see it and know it. Servant leadership.
2. There are a thousand ways to skin a cat. This is the most interesting part of my job and what I enjoy hearing about the most. People are smart, I like hearing about how they capitalized on their efforts.
3. It you are standing still you will be run over. All you need to do is look around. No one is doing business the way they were 5 years ago. You better be agile and willing to adapt.
4. Old warhorses are old for a reason. I regularly visit with a small number of retired businessmen. Their knowledge and advice is worth a lot. They just see things coming way earlier than others.
5. My best clients work alongside their employees. When employers segregate themselves from their employees they aren’t leading… they are dictating. Never works.
6. Prioritize your problems, then work the problem. You can’t fix everything at once. Analyze all your issues and take care of the biggest bleeders first.
My favorite Podcasts:
How I Built This
TED Radio Hour
The Books I enjoyed most in 2018.
The Last Arrow: Save Nothing for the Next Life- Erwin Raphael McManus
Extreme Ownership- Jocko Willink & Leif Babin
Building a Story Brand- Donald Miller
Peak Performance- Brad Stulberg & Steve Magness
Hard to believe we are already 6 weeks into 2019. I hope that these things have reminded you that you can be a better you and that you should never stop trying to be a better you. Stick to your goals and objectives for the year. Work hard and bring those around you along so they can be part of your accomplishments. What fun is a party if no one is there to celebrate with you.